LeFrak Centre at Prospect Park
Bringing Brooklyn's oldest park back to life.
Right at the heart of residential Brooklyn and a stone’s throw from the Brooklyn Museum and Brooklyn Botanical Gardens sits the 150 year-old Prospect Park.
Prospect Park is home to the largest tract of forest remaining in Brooklyn. Trails, streams, meadows and waterways add to its scenic beauty.
Le Frak Center sits at the heart of the 26 acre park. A hub of activity offering visitors skating, biking and boating year-round, as well as café facilities and an event space, the centre is one of the largest building projects ever undertaken in a New York park whilst remaining open to the public.
Creating a sustainable legacy in an urban oasis
Sustainable methods were used throughout construction to ensure the project stands the test of time. Locally sourced construction materials, FSC-certified wood, and energy reduction processes were employed.
Sensitive to surrounding parkland, buildings are bermed into the land, creating optimal thermal efficiency and a blended landscape. Additional sustainable features include an open-air design, permeable landscape materials, green roofs and a stormwater recovery system.
Gleeds was appointed to project manage the $74 million restoration of the centre to breathe new life into it as a vibrant public space.
We managed a collaborative, innovative team to drive an efficient project whilst mitigating associated risks. Acting as key liaison between all members of the team, advising and advocating for the owner, we monitored construction progress, the program schedule and change order process.
Prospect Park is one of the premier green spaces in the United States
LeFrak Centre has won numerous awards since it opened to the public, including:
- 2015 ACEC New York Platinum Award: Special Projects Category
- 2015 MASterworks Award for Best Urban Amenity, Municipal Arts Society
- 2014 ENR Best Project Award: Landscape/Urban Development Category
- 2014 Greater New York Construction User Council Award: Outstanding Recreational Project
- 2014 Award for Excellence in Design, New York City Public Design Commission
- 2013 Lucy G Moses Preservation Award, New York Landmarks Conservancy
- 2013 Merit Award, American Society of Landscape Architects, New York Chapter
- 2010 Award for Excellence in Design, New York City Public Design Commission
- LEED® Gold Certified