Elective Orthopaedic Theatre Building
Creating award-winning operating theatres.
Gleeds provided BREEAM® assessor and cost management services to Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust.
Its new operating theatres at Nottingham City Hospital has already been rated “Excellent”, and will be able to treat up to 1,293 more people a year.
Saving lives and money
Gleeds is helping get the most out of an investment of up to £13.7m from the NUH Trust Capital to create a 2,058m² single-storey space featuring:
- 4 orthopaedic theatres and associated support space
- An admissions area, including reception, offices and 15 changing rooms
- A recovery area, including 17 recovery bays
- Loading areas, a sterile storage space and a plant room
BREEAM® rating: Excellent
Our involvement from the design stage ensured this theatre received the highest level of environmental performance in the most cost-effective way.
Constructed under the P21+ framework, it’s one of the highest BREEAM®-scoring in the healthcare sector, thanks to features such as:
- Reduced carbon emissions
- Efficient water usage
- Life Cycle Costing (LCC)
- Low impact, responsibly sourced, materials rated A or A+
- A Site Waste Management Plan focused on waste prevention
- Acoustic performance – the scheme meets with healthcare standards (HTM 08-01)
- Reuse of land – the building is located on a brownfield site
- High Considerate Constructors Scheme performance
highest BREEAM®-scoring buildings in the healthcare sector, with a rating of 78.81%.
Treating musculoskeletal injuries and conditions
The centre will provide facilities to perform surgery on joints, ligaments, tendons and nerves. Given its function, it has to be mechanically ventilated to create a sterile environment, resulting in a complex servicing strategy.